Honeywell Process Solutions, a division of Honeywell Automation and Control Solutions (ACS), was embarking on a project to revamp its Internet presence, with a phased launch of a new global, multi-language marketing site. Of importance, Honeywell was undergoing a transformational paradigm shift, recognizing the potential of the Internet to support Honeywell’s growth and penetration of key markets, such as refining, oil and gas, pulp, paper and printing, power generation, chemicals, life sciences, and metals, minerals and mining.
As envisioned, Honeywell’s new Internet presence was to strategically serve a varied set of external, global audiences, including prospects, end-users/customers, channel partners, and media. Moreover, the new site would serve the interests of internal stakeholders, such as sales, marketing, customer support, training, channel sales and marketing communications.
Over the course of a four-year engagement, BusinessOnline has helped Honeywell HPS plan and launch a new Global Internet Presence to:
- Drive revenue
- Act as a business enabler
- Create competitive differentiation
- Lower cost to serve
With low lead quality & quantity, little competitive differentiation and a high cost to serve the HPS team was seeking a vendor/partner that could drive this mission critical initiative to help the current online presence evolve from a “marketing catalogue and document warehouse to a global, integrated marketing, ecommerce and customer support site that meets the needs of their broad portfolio and stakeholders from around the world, while maintaining a common user experience.”
The proposal entailed extensive work:
- Implement an effective solution for multiple languages and localization, ecommerce, and online.
- Factor in localized content and documentation needs
- Architect a new user interface through appropriate research
- Establish a strong Internet foundation to support Honeywell’s long-term strategy,
- Ecommerce planning (products, solutions, support, service)
- Online support (dynamic support documentation)
- Online service
- New content and document management strategy
- Search Engine Optimization (domestic and international)
- Identification of marketing automation technology to support company lead nurturing efforts
- Leverage current investment in Microsoft technology (SharePoint 2007)
- Successfully plan for SAP, Siebel and other technologies, as necessary
To help our POC garner internal buy-in, BusinessOnline conducted deep research into the profiles, needs and expectations of the B2B ECommerce User.
- First-hand research with HPS customers – they expect personalized experience like B2C sites, relevant product information and related offers
- Competitive Research to evaluate the current state of process automation e-commerce sites: analyzing availability and need for authentication and personalization
- Additional Surveys, interviews, and third party research
- Also conducted SEO diagnostic revealing need for attention in international navigation and content, url structures, and content, document and video optimization
- Developed wireframes and conducted on-site user experience testing based on personas developed in Phase 1 – Testing results would influence the final designs
- Consolidated worldwide websites from over 50 domestic and international sites to two.
- BusinessOnline helped POC make the case internally for the project and get approval for the significant budget – via research analysis of competitive peers and best of breed benchmarking
- 30x increase in annual lead volume from website (from 300/year to over 10,000/year)
- Consolidated over 50 global web properties resulting in a lower cost to serve
- Deeper understanding of customer needs and expectations
- A world-class online presence ready to meet the needs of Honeywell customers